Your best friend or sister is getting married and you were asked to be the Maid of Honor. You may be asking yourself what does that mean? That means you’re someone very special to the bride and she’s honored you with this special position. But what do you do? Here’s my five top tips on being a Fabulous Maid of Honor:
1) Offer to do “it”, again and again and again. Whether your bride is looking for a custom cake or topper, a florist for those special ordered flowers or looking for that perfect favor for her guests, help her from the start and run with it. You don’t want the bride worrying about anything. You need to be one step ahead of her and get things done.
2) Don’t be afraid to delegate the numerous things that will go on. Have grandma, her godmother or a favorite family member help with the details of her bridal shower. And don’t be afraid to let others share in the expense of these gatherings and items. You certainly aren’t independently wealthy and everyone should contribute a little something toward the big day, whether it’s grandma, her godmother or favorite family members.
3) Say nice things about the groom or partner. She is currently on cloud nine and is so happy. Tell her what a great choice she’s made and let her smile. After all, you’re the Maid of Honor and your opinion counts.
4) ….and if you don’t care for the groom…..don’t share it. Hopefully before things have gotten so far as you being the Maid of Honor, you’ve shared your concerns. The bride knows your concerns and doesn’t need to hear it over and over again. Be supportive, have a listening ear and know when to just let it go.
5) Don’t forget to have some “me” time. Pamper yourself prior to the wedding and unwind. This is a job for all practical purposes and you may not have alot of time for yourself. So make time to go to the salon, have a mani/pedicure or a massage and relax. On the big day you’ll be busy, but be sure to enjoy yourself….after all you’re the Maid of Honor for a reason.
Mary Homer-Fairy Tale Weddings & Events